One of the two world famous Oxbridge cities, Cambridge, and it’s universities, lie on the River Cam between the East Midlands and East Anglia. The current population is 125,700.
The origins of Cambridge can be traced from the Bronze and Iron Ages and the Romans settled in the same place from 1AD to 5AD, then the Empire declined.
Modern Cambridge was started by the Danes in 875 when they created a fortified burgh (borough). The Saxons then took over the town in the 10th century and this was followed by the Danes burning the town down. By 1086, at the time of Domesday, the population was 2000, a medium sized town. The original town name Granta bryg changed gradually over time to become Cambridge, the bridge over the River Cam.
The medieval town had a market and a fair and with the Cam flowing into the Great Ouse, which entered the sea at Kings Lynn, became a trading town. Wine, salt, fish, reeds and rushes moved into the town and grain was exported out. Leather and wool industries commenced and trades people flourished.
Then Friars arrived, the School of Pythagoras was founded in 1200 and the University in 1209.
Peterhouse College was founded in 1284 followed by ten other colleges up to Jesus in 1497. Despite the universities the town itself was not well thought of but did not stop the founding of a further six colleges in the 16th century starting with Christs through to Sidney Sussex.
The early 18th century saw a population of 6179 and further development began. A newspaper, Shire Hall and Guildhall came into existence followed by the world famous Addenbrookes hospital.
By 19th century the population was 10087 and the railway reached the town, which together with the still used river, turned Cambridge into an important industrial town, including the manufacture of scientific instruments.
A police force, piped water, trams and eventually electricity was introduced, together with a further seven colleges.
The twentieth century saw rapid growth with the population racing from 38000 in 1901 to 91000 in 1951 and 122000 at end of the century. Ten further colleges and institutes were introduced and in 1951, Cambridge was created a city.
Things to Do:
Being a large, established university city, the student population ensure a young outlook but also a range of interests for all.
Punts are flat bottomed boats, originally commercial usage, which operate on the River Cam, mainly the section called the Backs. There are many companies who operate the punts, which can accommodate groups of about 16 or down to a solo customer, and the boats are guided by professionals. Some companies also run self operated tours. However, be aware of touts.
For those who might like a longer tour then one to Granchester may be of interest.
King’s College Chapel:
Is world renowned for both its architectural beauty and it’s choir whose annual Christmas Eve concerts are broadcast throughout the world. The college and chapel were founded by Henry VI in 1441. Admission is usually between 9.30am and mid afternoon and details of opening times and entrance fees can be obtained on website firstname.lastname@example.org or on 01223 331212.
For those who like architecture there are two interesting bridges in the city. One is the Bridge of Sighs which is a covered bridge which is owned by St. John’s College and links the college’s Third Court and New Court which are either side of the River Cam.
The other is the Mathematical Bridge which is a wooden structure and again spans the River Cam linking two parts of Queen’s College.
Located on Trumpington Street, this museum is of significant importance, attracting over 400,000 visitors a year. Entrance is free and as well as antiquities, coins and manuscripts there are paintings by Gainsborough, Constable and Hogarth. The museum is open until 5pm Tuesdays to Sundays.
Church of the Holy Sepulchre:
Is one of just four round churches in use in England. It was built in 1130 and is located on the junction of Bridge Street and Round Church Street. It is open until 5pm daily.
Museum of Cambridge:
Located in Castle Street this museum, with 20000 objects to see, tells the story of the people of Cambridge and how they have lived since the 1660s. It has nine themed rooms all housed in a 17th century building, which was originally the White Horse Inn. There is a tearoom and the museum is open until 5pm from Tuesday to Sunday.
For further information telephone 01223 355159.
Imperial War Museum-Duxford:
Located adjacent to the M11 just south of Cambridge, Duxford is the Air Force branch of the IWM, although land and sea exhibitions etc. are also featured. The location was originally a World War 2 airfield used by the RAF. Among the many exhibition halls is the Air Space which houses 30 iconic planes including the Spitfire and Concorde.
During the winter season the museum is open until 4pm.
Further details available from website email@example.com or phoning 01223 835000.
The city of Ely lies a 15 minute train ride to the north east of Cambridge and possesses a fine cathedral. The original church began to be built in the 11th century and was made a cathedral in 1109. Due to the high running costs of the cathedral there is an entrance fee. The Octagon Tower can be climbed and there is a gift shop and café.
Due to services and other events it is suggested that a call is made for further information, to avoid disappointment, on 01353 667735.
The city centre areas around Market Passage, Market Street and Regent Street possess some popular bars and restaurants.
Popular clubs include Ballare, Fez Club, The Junction and Q Club.
As with all cities there is a varied range of pubs suiting all tastes. A popular gay bar is Fleur De Lys.
Theatre wise, Cambridge boasts some jewels. The ADC is a part of Cambridge University and is the base for the world famous Footlights, where many of the country’s most famous comedic and theatrical acts began their careers whilst at the University. The theatre is based in Park Street and further information can be found in www.adctheatre.com.
Cambridge Arts Theatre, based in St. Edward’s Passage, presents musicals, drama, live music, pantomime etc..
Other theatres include Cambridge Corn Exchange and Cambridge Junction.
There are two multiplex cinema centres, Vue and Cineworld, and these are complimented by Arts Picturehouse which hosts an annual film festival.
There are also a couple of casinos located in the city.
With over 500 eating places in the Cambridge area any visitor will find something to their liking.
The range is from morning coffee to café lunches to evening fine dining.
Locations are cafes, brasseries, restaurants, vibrant city pubs and leisurely country pubs. An extensive range of English, continental and ethnic foods can be found.
Cambridge may be a compact city but the shopping experience is expansive. There is a daily market in Market Square and a Saturday craft market in All Saints Garden.
The Mill Road area is for bohemian chic and for High Street chain stores head to Grand Arcade which includes a John Lewis department store together with 60 other stores and also The Grafton shopping centre which houses Debenhams and a further good range of outlets.
Independent shops can be found in Rose Crescent, Trinity Street, Magdalene Street and Bridge Street.
All the shopping in the city centre is walkable.
The full range of accommodation is available in the city from bed and breakfast, small hotels, international hotels and uniquely, when the University is in vacation, then the College Rooms can be used for visitors to the city.
Also, of course, many pubs have a good standard of rooms to stay in.
The city’s geographical position makes it easily available from the rest of the UK.
Sitting adjacent to the M11 motorway ensures a rapid trip from London and also the rest of Southern England by incorporating the M25 into your route.
From the north by using the A1 and M1 and then connecting to the city via the A14 and again using the A14 east and west the rest of the country can get to the city easily.
Once in Cambridge, for a short stay, there are many car parks. There is also an excellent Park and Ride system providing free parking and a rapid bus service into the city centre.
The city railway station lies just over one mile, south east, of the city centre. King’s Cross and Liverpool Street stations in London have a frequent, fast service to the city. Trains from the north come via Peterborough and there is a good service from Birmingham and East Anglia.
From the station you can take the bus services Citi 1, 3 and 7 to the city centre.
National Express run to Cambridge from all UK regional centres also from the main south east airports. There is also a route called X5, run by Stagecoach, that connects Oxford and Cambridge.
There is an extensive bus service throughout the city with eight different routes. A system called Busway using a unique roadway joins Trumpington Park and Ride in the south of the city to Huntington and St. Ives to the north, via Cambridge railway station.
Half a dozen companies run taxi services throughout the city.
Stadium: Cambs Glass Stadium. Newmarket Road. Cambridge CB5 8LN.
Joined League: 1970
Chairman: Paul Barry
Manager: Colin Calderwood
Current League: League 2.
Phone number: 01223 566500
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
The club started life as Abbey United in 1912 and played their matches at Midsummer Common until the beginning of World War 1. Between playing at this ground and moving into their current ground, Abbey Stadium, in 1932, they played in a number of other locations. These were Stourbridge Common, Celery Trenches and Parker’s Piece.
The club turned professional in 1951 and changed its name to Cambridge United. They then played in the Eastern Counties League until they were promoted to the Southern League in 1958. In 1970, the demise of Bradford Park Avenue as a Football League club, saw United gain League status.
By 1980 the club had reached a very respectable 8th in the second tier. However, the club was relegated to the third tier in 1984, having a set a League record of 31 games without a win and then relegated back to fourth tier in 1985 with another League record, 33 losses in a season.
Having reached this low in the early 1990s the club played in the first ever League playoff final at Wembley Stadium where they beat Chesterfield 1-0. A further promotion in 1991 saw them back in the second tier when they finished in the playoffs to reach the first ever season of the Premier League. Unfortunately they failed in this attempt. Further disappointment lead to steady decline once again, which resulted in relegation to the Conference League in 2005. There they stayed until promotion back to the League in 2014.
For all ticket information call the clubs phone number.
Match day tickets can be bought on line but you have to set up an account. For this check out the official club web site www.cambridge-united.co.uk.
Away supporters should contact their own club regarding purchase of tickets.
Stagecoach run a bus service C3 from the city centre and railway station at 10 minute intervals. For the stadium alight at Ditton Walk. A timetable can be obtained from Stagecoach web site.
For using the train check out details as described in CITY above. On arrival at Cambridge station take bus C3 to the stadium. Alternatively, the stadium is a 25/30 minute walk.
If driving from the south use the M11 to Junction 14 and then continue east on the A14 dual carriageway.
From the north travel to Huntingdon then take A14 to Cambridge and then travel east on A14.
By both above routes turn onto the A1303 then travel towards the stadium via Marshall Airport, Coldham’s Lane and Coldham’s Road. There is no parking for cars at the stadium and on street parking must be used. Disabled travelers should contact the club re parking.
An organised coach can arrange on site parking.
It has been much mooted that the club wished to relocate to a new stadium on the outer limits of the city but those plans have stalled and modest redevelopment is expected at the Abbey Stadium.
The four stands are called Main, North, Habbin and South. Away supporters are accommodated in the fairly new covered South Stand and for high profile matches, part of Habbin Stand.
A good range of food and drink is available in the stadium but there is not much in the way of refreshment in the local area. Those who do not wish to buy within the stadium should consume food and drink in the city centre. On occasions, when not busy, away supporters are allowed in the supporters bar.
Within the stadium complex is a club shop.
BREAKFAST LUNCH DINNER
34-35 Green Street, Cambridge