Sitting on the River Nene, in Cambridgeshire, Peterborough is located on the west side of the Fens. The city has a population of 184,500.
Starting life as a Saxon village called Medehamstede, an abbey was built which was destroyed by the Danes in 870. A new abbey was built, named St. Peters burgh and a town began to form around the new abbey.
After the town and the abbey, again, were destroyed the town was rebuilt in the medieval ages with a market and streets surrounding it. The main streets were Cowgate and Priestgate, which exists today in name.
After Henry V111 abolished the monasteries, the abbey became a cathedral and Peterborough was made a city. The main industries in Tudor and Stuart times was wool weaving, malting and then clay pipe manufacture. Four bouts of the plague were endured but the population recovered.
Mary Queen of Scots was buried in the cathedral after her execution in 1587 and during the civil war in the 17th Century, Cromwell’s army destroyed pictures and statues in the cathedral. The Old Guildhall was built in 1671.
The seventeenth century Peterborough was still a small city but then the Napoleonic wars brought prosperity through trade and the city started a path of steady growth.
The railway arrived in 1845 and new industries arrived such as brick making, and an iron foundry, alongside many municipal improvements. The turn of the 20th century arrived with a city population of 30,000 together with electricity, trams, cinema and museum.
Then in 1967 a momentous event saw the then population of 80,000 designated to over double in size by becoming a new town. This duly happened and this brought new industries, including diesel engines, electrical equipment and farm machinery. With the population reaching its current population of over 180,000 massive house building schemes have been developed and three shopping malls built. The future for the city would appear to be prosperity.
Things to Do:
Is a stunning cathedral which was founded in Anglo Saxon times but is of Norman design. It is dedicated to St. Peter, St. Paul and St. Andrew and the statues of each of these are displayed on the beautiful west façade entrance. Catherine of Aragon, the first wife of Henry V111, is buried here and there are strong associations with Mary Queen of Scots.
Open until 5pm Monday to Saturday and 3pm on Sunday, there is a shop and café. Entry is free but generous donations appreciated.
is a medieval treasure and has on display the finest display of medieval domestic wall paintings in Western Europe. The tower, which was part of a fortified manor house, is located in Thorpe Road, PE3 6LU. Open only at weekends the property is completely shut from November to March. Access can be gained by car or by six bus routes from Peterborough city centre. For full details phone 01733 864663.
Nene Valley Railway:
This heritage railway joins the following stations:- Yarwell, Wansford, Ferry Meadows, Orton Mere and Peterborough Nene Valley. As well as the running of mainly steam, and diesel, trains the management organise special events, including Thomas the Tank Engine themes.
For full information on routes, fares and timetables check out www.nvr.org.uk,
is a pre historic village dating back to the Bronze Age, where you can see how people lived then. You can visit the reconstructed round houses, the Roman Herb Garden and Lakeside Walk. Also on view are Soay sheep an ancient breed. The opening season is very limited, so to find out access, location etc. check out www.vivacity-peterborough.com.
Built between the 15th and 19th centuries, this is a sumptuous period house with about ten fully furnished rooms to view. The 200 acres of parkland contain an Orangery, Sunken Garden, formal garden and flower garden etc. Sat nav is PE8 6SH.
With a limited opening season details can be found at www.eltonhall.com.
Located in Priestfield PE1 1LF, which dates back to the twelfth century, this 200,000 piece collection includes diverse artefacts such as the Norman Cross, Roman objects and Jurassic marine reptiles. There is also an exhibition on the life and people of the city.
Open Tuesdays to Saturdays there are a few nearby car parks and it is within walking distance of the station and city centre. Admission is free and the museum is open Tuesday to Sunday until 5pm.
Considered England’s greatest Elizabethan House, this beautiful building is located between Peterborough and Stamford at PE9 3JY. With 35 major rooms and 100 lesser rooms the house is crammed with treasures. As well as the house the beautiful gardens can be accessed and to complete the visit are two cafes and two shops. A bus running from Peterborough to Stamford and a mile walk or taxi ride from Stamford station will take you to the estate.
Full details can be found at www.burghley.co.uk.
Like many of the UK cities, the night life in Peterborough is going through a period of change. The big night clubs are gradually closing down, partly due to the changes in the 24 hours drinking laws. This means that currently Peterborough has just three night clubs, Solstice, Halo and Edwards.
There are, however, a very good number and variation in pubs and bars, with Broadway and the other nearby streets being the focal point.
The Key Theatre in the city centre caters for all entertainment tastes. Ballet, Drama, Comedy, Music etc. are all to be found performed here. For further information on, what’s on, check out website www.vivacity-peterborough.com.
The Cressett is a theatre cum bar/café/shops/public bar/restaurant venue.
Located in Bretton PE3 8DX, full details can be found at www.theatresonline.com/peterborough.
Cinemas in the city are run by Showcase, Cineplex and Peterborough Arts Cinema.
As an alternative, ice hockey and greyhound racing are promoted in the city.
With a good ethnic mix of citizens, this is reflected in the restaurants. Many Indian, Italian, British and far eastern eateries can be found. There is also a good number of pubs (those in the surrounding countryside are excellent) selling good food, together with “take aways” and daytime cafes in the city centre, including department stores.
A good range of shops can be found in the city. The main centre is the Queensgate Mall which houses a major department store and a large selection of national chains. Other malls include Rivergate and Serpentine Green. Cathedral Square is a pleasant street to browse and take in street entertainment and café life.
The city has another national department store and there is a city centre market for all every day needs.
There are several retail parks in the suburbs.
International and national hotel chains abound in the city giving a good level of comfort. There are also budget hotels and affordable rooms in pubs and guest houses. These establishments can be found in the city centre and surrounding areas.
Operating from Queensgate Bus Station, Stagecoach run six citi routes within the city centre and suburbs and twenty five routes to surrounding towns and cities. These destinations include Cambridge, Norwich, Kings Lynn, Northampton and Milton Keynes.
Lying just to the east of the A1M (Great North Road), the city has good connections to Cambridge and London and the north of England. From the south, Fletton Parkway joins this road to the city centre and from the north, the A47 and A15.
The A605/A14 connects the city to the M1, M6 and the West Midlands conurbation.
Peterborough is a major rail hub. Sitting on the East Coast mainline track this gives rapid movement to London Kings Cross to the south and York, Newcastle, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen and Inverness to the north.
Eastwards there are good connections to Norwich, Cambridge and Stansted Airport. Westwards, Sheffield, Manchester and Liverpool are accessible.
The connection to Birmingham New Street opens up Wales and the west.
Peterborough Station is in the city centre adjacent to Queensgate Bus Station.
Stansted and Birmingham International airport are connected to the city by rail. Heathrow can be connected by National Rail coaches.
A dozen firms run services in the city and surrounding areas
Stadium: Abax Stadium. London Road. Peterborough. PE2 8AL
Joined League: 1960
Chairman: Darragh MacAnthony
Manager: Darren Ferguson
Current League: League 1
Phone Number: 01733 563947
After the collapse of Peterborough and Fletton in 1932, a meeting in the city in 1934 finished with the formation of Peterborough United. The old nickname of P & F was the Brickies, named after the Fletton bricks and the current nickname of Peterborough United, the Posh, stems from those times. It would appear that the player manager of P & F in 1921, Pat Tirrel, declared he was seeking “posh players for a posh team”.
The aim of the new club, which took over their current ground, London Road, was to achieve League status. This they duly did in 1960, taking the place of Gateshead. They won the Division 4 championship in their first season.
In truth, the club have not set the Football League alight, mainly residing in the bottom two divisions with the occasional good FA Cup or League Cup run. They did reach the FA Cup quarter final in 1964/65 and the League Cup semi-final in 1965/66.
Then a break through. They reached the second tier, then Division 1, in 1992/93, where they remained for just one season. They achieved the same again in 2009/10 for one season in the Championship and yet again when they got back to the Championship between 2011 and 2013. They currently play in League One.
Away fans should check with their own clubs in the first instance regarding tickets.
Tickets can be booked in advance for collection on match days, often with a discount. Tickets can also be purchased at the ground on match days.
For full ticket information check out the club’s website. Alternatively the ticket office can be contacted online at www.theposhtickets.com, by phoning 0844 847 1934 or by email to email@example.com.
Routes 1 to 9 from the city centre pass the stadium. Check out Stagecoach citi bus timetables and route maps.
The railway station is located one mile north of the ground and is a reasonable walk. For those with a disability, or if it is raining, local buses and taxis are available.
There is no parking at the ground but space can be found nearby adjacent to the town bridge on Oundle Road. A full list of car parks in the city cane found at www.peterborough.gov.uk.
See above regarding air travel to the city.
Built in 1913, London Road has been United’s home ground since their inception in 1934. In the 1950s the club bought their home off of the council and redevelopment started.
The current stands are the Peterborough and Norwich Stand, an impressive two tier, all seater with a row of executive boxes running through the middle. On the opposite side is the two tiered Main Stand which was built in 1957.
At one end is the Motorpoint Stand which is single tiered and was opened in 2014. The other end is the London Road Terrace.
The record attendance is 30,096 v Swansea City in an FA Cup match in 1965 and the current capacity is 15314.
Away fans are housed in the Main Stand adjacent to the Motorpoint Stand. The views of the action are good but the facilities for fans are fairly cramped and refreshments basic. It is considered, though, a pleasurable, friendly club to visit. Outside of the stadium there are good food kiosks and a good range of pubs stretching from the station down to the ground.
In 2014 the ground name was changed to the Abax Stadium, under a new sponsorship deal.
BREAKFAST LUNCH DINNER
7 Church Street. Peterborough